It began with cracks in our bedroom walls. And they were getting worse. Some of our doors were not closing; others were starting to stick. Our neighbors were getting their foundation fixed, and we knew ours was having problems as well.
We called the company who repaired our foundation four years ago, just before we bought the house, to see if our warranty would cover the damage. What followed has been a complete fuc*ing disaster.
Of course the original foundation company would be delighted to honor our warranty if the piers that were placed under the house four years ago were failing. But they were not – instead our house was having problems in other areas. They gave us the elevation numbers (these show how much the foundation is falling or rising) as well as an estimate to fix the house. Lets just say the estimate was for several thousand dollars.
We decided to get a second opinion.
Wow! Their elevation numbers were much different then the first company. They required more beams, so more work, however, the cost would be less. But, “oh by the way, you might have a leak under your house.”
We realized we needed a third opinion.
Instead of calling another foundation company, we hired an engineer to come and check the house. His numbers were right in line with opinion number one, and he didn’t think we had a leak, but wasn’t sure. Excellent! Hired the second, less expensive company, they came in and did the work. When they left, this is what we found.
Holy shit! We had to call a plumber to come out and fix the tub. What he told us made our hearts stop. He would have to jack hammer through the tiles in the bathroom, through the foundation, and dig into the dirt below the house so that they could replace the cast iron pipe that was broken during the lift.
Good news – the plumber didn’t have to jack hammer through the bathroom tile to fix the tub, just through the foundation in Ryan’s closet. This was good because Ryan’s closet is carpeted, which is much easier to remove and replace than if they cut through the bathroom tiles.
Bad news – they found a leak under the house. It had been there a very long time and could possibly have caused our foundation issues.
Hmmm…maybe it’s time to call the insurance company to see if some of this might possibly be covered. I mean geez the pipes are cast iron, they are old, and the policy states foundation issues due to leaks are covered under insurance.
The tub is fixed, there is a giant wet cement spot in Ryan’s closet trying to dry, and the plumbers have identified one (or more) leaks in other parts of the house. The insurance adjuster is coming out Wednesday to evaluate the damage, so we still have a long road ahead of us before this is fixed.
The total damage thus far is $11,000 – all paid directly from the money we had saved for our trip.
How will this change the trip? Will we be delaying it for a year? Should we just cancel continents (for example, skip Africa or Europe)? Should we shorten the trip to 6 or 9 months instead of 12? We are not sure.
We do know one thing, this trip is not canceled. We will go, one way or another.